Friday, September 11, 2009

Nature Shooting

Ran a hard race last night and have another 10K scheduled for tomorrow morning (being an avid runner as well as photographer) meant that I was taking a rest day today and thus no morning run.  This left me with just a little free time but not really enough to do any kind of good nature shooting.  But I've been neglecting my Canon gear lately so I wanted to get back out with it.

Grabbed the 40D and one of my "good" lenses, a Canon 300mm f/4 L prime lens and headed to the park where I usually run.  This time of year spotting deer is almost always a sure bet, but seeing a buck like the young one here is a little more rare.  (Seeing a full grown buck in the park almost never happens.  They stay well hidden while the doe and fawns will wander out of the woods regularly for food.)

With less than an hour to shoot and not really dressed to go trudging through the muddy woods I did a little car wandering and was about to give up for the morning when I spotted the doe pictured here.  And when you see one deer you'll usually see more so I jumped out of the car and managed to shoot them both out of the woods and in for about 10 minutes until they wandered off father than I wanted to follow.  Truthfully I'm not real pleased with anything that I got today but this is always a fun fall exercise, one that I'm sure I'll repeat quite a few more mornings until it gets too cold to keep up.

Enjoy!
Tom Laux
September 11, 2009



No comments:

Post a Comment