Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Firmware Released for the Olympus E-P1

Yesterday Olympus pushed out the first firmware release for the new E-P1 and the two accompanying lenses.  They are saying that the v1.1 camera software improves the continuous auto focus system and the lens updates (performed separately for both the 17mm pancake and the 14-42mm zoom) also improve the auto focus systems.

The software is downloaded and installed via the Olympus Master software that comes with the camera and is transfered via USB.  (I learned for the first time today that the mini-USB connector on the Pen is not a standard mini-USB and had to dig the cable out of the box before I could make the proper connection.)  The upgrade is straightforward and painless and worked exactly as described on the Olympus web site.  I've read many times now that the auto focus of the Pen is one of it's weaknesses but in real life use I'm not having any issues with it.  It is not lightning fast like my Canon is when a nice "L" lens is attached, but I find it more than acceptable and seems to well out perform my Canon G10 that this camera replaced.  I tested each of my three lenses (two Olympus and one Lumix) after the upgrade and all seem to autofocus reasonably quick with little hunting.  I can't really say that I notice much of a difference from before the update however.

Details can by found on the Olympus web site or simply by opening the Olympus Master software and selecting Camera Update from the Tools menu.

Enjoy!
Tom Laux
September 16, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment